Thursday, December 12, 2013

Advice From a Friend: Customer Service

You might remember me mentioning once or twice how wearing my missionary tag in Utah Valley gave me new friends. A lot of the time it was someone else who had also come home on either medical leave or medical release.
One of these people I met while out for a meal. He was our waiter. We talked a little bit, he wished me good luck, and we parted ways. That's how most of my "tag earned" friendships went. 
Not long after I was release, a month or two after getting off the plane, my family took a friend to the same restaurant. Just to clarify on some details, ("Or else nothing that follows will seem wondrous." -Charles Dickens.) this is the kind of place where you are assigned to a table by a host. Lo and behold, it was my waiter friend from last time! Not only that, but his waiter helper had been on medical leave twice! The first time he broke his leg in Peru, and he served the rest of his mission in Bolivia. 
The meal was good, the salsa extra hot. Before we left, our waiter brought a special guest check for me.
He explained the podcast was helpful and had some good things in it. He explained where the group therapy took place and who was involved (My Wednesdays are usually spent at the Family History Center) and that sickrms.com was not up and running yet but would be soon. He mentioned he was working with a MYU professor. Before leaving he restated he understood how tough it could be, and how these are just a few things that helped him.
It was a little thing really. I'm use to hearing advice, mostly medical based. I've been told everything from eating 40 cloves of garlic a week to drinking a bottle of magnesium. So it's nothing uncommon for me. I'm sure he must have been nervous. It's never easy to just step out of the norm and do something like that.
Earlier this week, my mom pointed out an article that was making the rounds in social media. Many of my friends had posted it and shared it. The title going around includes the name "Ryan". I'm not 100% certain this is the same Ryan, but I'm 99.9% sure it is. 
Honestly, I don't feel guilty. At all. What happened, happened. It's the strangest thing, but there wasn't and isn't anything I can do about it. I do feel help and hope. Always.
My family has been extremely supportive! I really couldn't ask for anything better! The first time I saw them I was expecting the "so unfortunate look" that people get after something bad happens. I was blown away by their excited smiles! My nephews and nieces were so excited to see me, I don't think they could have cared less what prejudices and stigmas could exist.
As for friends, they're all married, dating, or on missions! I couldn't be more excited for them! My brothers and their families have been taking good care of me, and I spend time with friends as my health will allow. I've made new friends and I've gone on adventures! 
Sometimes people will say weird things to me, and I just roll my eyes and laugh it off. 

The most important thing to remember is that God is in charge. Be honest with yourself and with him. He will help you through trials.
My sister-in-law talked about the little things He is aware of. This conversation happened midday yesterday. By the end I had seen old friends, received a lovely little note from an english student, got a letter from a sestra, found an email from a starješina (elder), danced with my niece, hung out with my a couple brothers, and I didn't have to use any stairs! These are only a few "little things." Honestly, there were too many things to count. I tried.
Faith, Hope, and Charity are always present. I promise you. And each is available to you no matter who you are.
God will help you with your down moments. If you really need friends, and you ask Him through prayer and faith, He will deliver. 

Peace and Blessings!
Aubrey

Matthew 6
 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? aConsider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, ashall he not much moreclothe you, O ye of little bfaith?
 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father aknoweth that ye have need of all these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment