Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Ether 12:4 - Always and Being

 Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.

Led to glorify God.

Hello! I hope you were able to enjoy your holidays. Welcome to the last installment (I think) of dissecting this lovely verse.

You might be able to tell what will be discussed by the blog post title.

Last time, we babbled a bit on anchors making us sure and steadfast. What else does it (hope, belief in God, faith, anchors) do?

According to this verse, "always abounding in good works". ALWAYS. That's a lot. What could that accomplish? Even if it was just one person? If you're always abounding (abounding-that's a lot, too!) with good works, I think it's safe to say you're too busy to be getting into trouble, sinning, or causing difficulties for others. Good works is more than just service. Imagine your exponential increase!
What good works can you think off?
I think of scripture study, pondering, cleaning the house (service), showing charity and compassion, homework, and temple attendance.
Which ones come to you mind?

The second part is "being". Elder Bednar gave a great talk in General Conference a few years ago on "to do" and "to be" (which I'm still trying to find the link to).

Notice that this scripture uses "being" with "led to glorify God". Not "do." It's a state of being. It will be part of your character. How cool would that be?! People would know you as being, let's say, a brother, a college graduate, glorify God, father, and a nice guy.

I like the part about "being led" too. It means you are constantly being guided. To me, that's comforting. All you have to do is follow and you will be led. Like a child to the drinking fountain. A horse to water. A boat to a lighthouse.

I love this scripture deeply. I hope you have found at least one new thing to love about it.

S Ljubavlju,
Sestra Farnsworth

P.S.
My fellow sisters from my MTC group have all come home. Which leads to the questions, should I continue writing in this blog? Has it been useful to you?

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how much of an inspiration you have been since I found your write ups and started going through each and everyone of them keep it up. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete