Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Music Spotlight: Savior, Redeemer of My Soul

I love this song. It's not sung very often in church, and the hymnal version is a little different than the one we are use to hearing. This song is played at the MTC about as often as If You Could Hie to Kolob (which is at LEAST once a week. One time we heard it 3 times in one day. Lucky us.)
I first became aware of this song while watching 17 Miracles. Simply put, it's powerful.
I think no one does the famous arrangement as the original performer, Dallyn Vail Bayles. Next to him is BYU's Vocal Point.
It was the Vocal Point version I was listening to (shamelessly on repeat) when one of the lines clicked with a new meaning. My favorite verse has always been the third.
  1. 3. O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
    Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
    Chasten my soul till I shall be
    In perfect harmony with thee.
    Make me more worthy of thy love,
    And fit me for the life above.
"Change frowning foes to smiling friends" held new meaning (after about the 14th time listening). Maybe it clicked because I had talked to one of my friends about our fears. Maybe I, unfortunately, need repetition to get the point. Whatever the reason, it now held meaning.
Frowning foes could be anything. It could be temptation. It could be fear. Maybe it's a personal weakness or short coming. It could be trails. It could be an exterior problem, like a neighbor, or school or it can be something internal and personal. But through Christ's infinite atonement, he can change these foes to friends. Smiling friends.
What was once a burden can become a joy. A weakness can become a strength. Frowning foes can be changed to smiling friends. Good can come from bad.
Sometimes this change happens outside of us, the thing that is bothering us will change, but most often than not it will be internal. Which in my opinion is better. It won't be the world that will change but us. Instead of solving only one problem, we are given the ability to face many future problems and help others along their paths. In essence, this is repentance. To get a fresh view of yourself, of others, of God, and of the world.
Happy New Year!

P.S. I know this song is meaningful to many of you. If you have thoughts, comments, or stories, I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment